1. Welcome to the Southern Illinois Hiking Forum,

It appears that you are not logged in or a member of this forum. By not being a member or logged in to the forum, you are missing out on a lot of great features. Please Login Now to get instant access to all features we provide. If you are not yet a member, considering Joining Today to get access to all the features we provide, including:
    • Ability to post new topics, replies and status updates on the forum...
    • Ability to add and download resources, apps, photos, videos and attachments...
    • Ability to submit your own articles, guides and interviews...
    • Ability to create your own profile, upload an avatar and have your own signature...
    • Plus much more...
    Membership is and will always be free. Please support our forum by inviting your friends and family to join, too!
  2. Howdy there Guest,

It appears you haven't made a single post on Southern Illinois Hiking Forum, yet. We'd love to meet you and know more about you! You're a member of this community which means this community is just as much yours as it is anyone else's. Why not Introduce Yourself as your first topic? We'd love to get to know you! =)
    Dismiss Notice

This Eclipse Thing...

Discussion in 'Southern Illinois Talk' started by Almighty Ed, Feb 25, 2017.

1. Almighty Ed

Almighty Ed SIHike.com Moderator Staff Member SIHike.com Moderator

So I've been wondering... Why is Carbondale getting all the eclipse hype? Could it be that city is THE best place to view it? What the hell? Why? So I looked it up. Simple answer, no, it isn't. It just has the most number of hippies per capita and most amount of people who don't have a job! And just south of C'dale will be slightly better. Actually, anywhere in So. Illinois in a line from Chester to Golconda will be the best spots, i.e. "duration of total eclipse". You can see the same damn thing from Dixon Springs as you can from Carbondale and not have to deal with "special people" in traffic. Sounds like a trap to me!

But here's some real info. The further north or south you get from the path of totality, the less duration of eclipse you'll get. And it shrinks pretty fast. Golconda 2:40 minutes ~ Eldorado 1:18. Makanda 2:40 mins ~ Mounds 1:19. So about 20 miles from the center line of totality loses almost a minute of duration.

Anyways, here's a map to view your eclipsical happenings. Green pin= longest duration.
    eclipse.PNG

And BTW, for the hiker types... Panthers Den will be THE best place(barring trees) to view the eclipse in Illinois. A spot in Kentucky will have the darkest eclipse but the Den will have the longest!

*Estimated eclipse duration times for your town- Total Solar Eclipse 2017 - Cities in the Path of Totality

*Interactive google map to view other areas. USA - 2017 August 21 Total Solar Eclipse - Interactive Google Map - Xavier Jubier Get your eclipse glasses ready!

2. Shawn Gossman

Shawn Gossman SIHike.com Founder Staff Member SIHike.com Owner SIHike.com Moderator

Can you imagine the parking lot at Panther's den? Imagine GotG if people go there... I've seen that whole parking lot packed during a cold day, let along the eclipse LOL

3. Almighty Ed

I know a few spots that would be perfect and within a mile or so of the optimal viewing blue line. I guarantee nobody else will be there. I seriously doubt I'll have the day off but if I do I'll be in my Jeep in Pope!

The eclipse from Trigg Tower would be cool but probably have others there as well.

4. Shawn Gossman

Shawn Gossman SIHike.com Founder Staff Member SIHike.com Owner SIHike.com Moderator

I'll be off even if I have to call in lol

5. MIKEB

MIKEB SIHike.com Moderator Staff Member SIHike.com Moderator

I am thinking the powerline just above Stoneface will be a good spot for me to watch it. Kinda doubt it will be crowded. Its a little ways from the optimal line but its close to the house!

6. Almighty Ed

The slick rocks by Rib Wrencher would be optimal!

P.S. I almost got my bike out last weekend. Almost.

7. MIKEB

How far of a walk is it from Dixon Springs to get there?

Get your bike out...i have been dying to go ride! I was planning to ride my road bike this weekend but it was windy and i was busy with random stuff.

8. Almighty Ed

Not far at all. Maybe a 1/2 mile. But hell just for an eclipse I'd be more inclined to watch from the campgrounds there or the levy at Lake Glendale or somewhere else close to life saving ac. It's gonna be mid day in August so most likely sweltering.

9. Shawn Gossman

Best time to road bike! More exercise!

10. MIKEB

I diasgree!

Road bike + Windy = HORRIBLE RIDE!

11. Almighty Ed

I diasgree!

Road bike = HORRIBLE RIDE!

12. Zon8

Zon8 New Member

I'm seriously considering coming up for this. It would be a good time to meet people, revisit the Shawnee and experience some cosmic history. I'll be keeping an eye on this thread

13. Shawn Gossman

I'll be celebrating it :D I've saved a call-in day just for it lol. I'll be seeing it from Shawnee most likely, somewhere deep in the forest where there is some bluffage to get on. Most of your huge crowd is going to be popular places like Garden of the Gods, Giant City and Carbondale. I'm going to try and stay away from all of that. Get somewhere where you have to trek a few miles on a horse trail or something like that, chances are, most of the visitors will be far away from you.