1. Welcome to the Southern Illinois Hiking Forum,

It appears that you are not logged in or a member of this forum. By not being a member or logged in to the forum, you are missing out on a lot of great features. Please Login Now to get instant access to all features we provide. If you are not yet a member, considering Joining Today to get access to all the features we provide, including:
    • Ability to post new topics, replies and status updates on the forum...
    • Ability to add and download resources, apps, photos, videos and attachments...
    • Ability to submit your own articles, guides and interviews...
    • Ability to create your own profile, upload an avatar and have your own signature...
    • Plus much more...
    Membership is and will always be free. Please support our forum by inviting your friends and family to join, too!
  2. Howdy there Guest,

It appears you haven't made a single post on Southern Illinois Hiking Forum, yet. We'd love to meet you and know more about you! You're a member of this community which means this community is just as much yours as it is anyone else's. Why not Introduce Yourself as your first topic? We'd love to get to know you! =)
    Dismiss Notice

The Upper Current River Trip

Discussion in 'Canoe and Kayaking' started by Almighty Ed, Mar 26, 2017.

1. Almighty Ed

Almighty Ed SIHike.com Moderator Staff Member SIHike.com Moderator

I've been wanting to do this trip for a very long time. Actually, it all started a very long time ago with a buddy bragging about his trout fishing trip to Montauk State Park. I love fishing, I've never caught or eaten trout. Then we did a bunch of Current float trips and got hooked on that river. Now with the kayaks and easy camper... it's a have to go situation. So next weekend I'm doin the damn thing!

Plans thus far? I'm not a planner. My plans are loose and subject to change on a whim. It's how I roll. But here's the jist.

1- Pack all week. I'm taking a load. Bikes, yaks, boots. And everything camp I own.

2- Leave Thursday evening after work and drive to Montauk. Set up camp.

3- Spend all day chillaxin in the cool trout laden waters, enjoying the serenity of Montauk State Park.

4- Camp at Montauk Friday night then jerk camp early am Saturday morning. Move base camp to Pulltite Campgrounds.

5- Shuttle up river to Cedar Grove- yak back to base camp. Saturday evening at Pulltite.

6- Jerk camp and roll to the burg.

Hopefully, work and life in general, cooperate in this venture!

2. Almighty Ed

A friend of mine has gifted me 2 nights reservations for camp site 105 at Montauk for Friday and Saturday night. Momma just confirmed her Friday off. Almost there!

3. Almighty Ed

Did not go kayaking. All damn day Friday was upper 30's, windy, and almost rain. Saturday started out the same then turned super nice about 1 pm. Too late for a decent float so we just fished and hung out around Montauk. Great trip nonetheless!

4. Almighty Ed

Although this trip is no longer kayak related I would like to say a few things about Montauk State Park in BF Missouri.

1. It's a pretty nice park but it is over-run with trout fishing fanatics. If you camp by the creek/river, expect strangers in your campsite. That part was a little odd to me. But river access points are fair game no matter where they are. 7 am to 7:30 pm. Had a whole family yappin and giggling right outside my camper 7:15 this morning. I got out and just stood there, pulling hard on that Camel menthol, hair and beard all in business for themselves, wearing Adidas pants I should not wear in public. I shut that yappin and giggling **** down!

2. Easy access to hot showers and flush shitters. Very scenic. Take a bike and ride around. That part was great!

3. Restaurant and store on site at the lodge. The restaurant has a decent menu. Breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Store has basic camp cooking supplies. Ketchup, mustard, and so on. It also has a decent size tackle/fishing side where you can buy everything needed from licensees to lures. Good selection on that stuff. Reasonably priced considering youre in BF Missouri.

4. Cabins for $82 per night! I'll go that route when I return. I like my camper but dragging it that far was a pain. I coulda had a couch!

5. Zero as in "0" cell service. Battery drains fast. But free wifi with decent signal at nearly all campsites. That was a life saver!

6. Take waders and go fishing. Seriously. Don't go to this park unless you want to go fishing. It's a fishing park. I may use it as a base camp for future Current River yak runs though. The restaurant and hot showers make that idea great.

7 I cant think of anything else.