1. Welcome to the Southern Illinois Hiking Forum,

It appears that you are not logged in or a member of this forum. By not being a member or logged in to the forum, you are missing out on a lot of great features. Please Login Now to get instant access to all features we provide. If you are not yet a member, considering Joining Today to get access to all the features we provide, including:
    • Ability to post new topics, replies and status updates on the forum...
    • Ability to add and download resources, apps, photos, videos and attachments...
    • Ability to submit your own articles, guides and interviews...
    • Ability to create your own profile, upload an avatar and have your own signature...
    • Plus much more...
    Membership is and will always be free. Please support our forum by inviting your friends and family to join, too!
  2. Howdy there Guest,

It appears you haven't made a single post on Southern Illinois Hiking Forum, yet. We'd love to meet you and know more about you! You're a member of this community which means this community is just as much yours as it is anyone else's. Why not Introduce Yourself as your first topic? We'd love to get to know you! =)
    Dismiss Notice

Eyeglasses while hiking and backpacking

Discussion in 'General Hiking Talk' started by brannan009, May 28, 2017.

1. brannan009

brannan009 New Member

I wear glasses and was wondering if anyone had tips or maybe suggestions on brands that can be used while hiking and backpacking? My current pair are thick plastic and hold up well but I want something that won't break if I decide to go on a multiday backpacking trip and ideas on what to do to prevent fogging, smuding and them falling off. Thanks and I really appreciate any help.

2. Almighty Ed

Almighty Ed SIHike.com Moderator Staff Member SIHike.com Moderator

I know your pain! I work construction and sweat profusely. Between that and debris I'm constantly wiping/ruining glasses. Have you tried contacts lately? I wear extended wears and only have to mess with them about once a month. Almost hassle free and way less hassle than glasses. Other than that you may look into prescription safety glasses. I had some when I worked at the dam and they held up great. Had the auto darkening lenses. Fogging and smudging though is just part of it. You can treat em with anti-fog but that just makes em form large drops of water instead of fog. Anti-fog wipes are cheap enough but I think it's just rubbing alcohol on a wet nap. Anyways thats all I have. Good luck!

3. brannan009

brannan009 New Member

I cant do contacts for a couple of reasons so that is a no go, but I'll check on safety glasses or just deal with it..lol

4. Almighty Ed

Almighty Ed SIHike.com Moderator Staff Member SIHike.com Moderator

I had Wiley X safety glasses. Not super cool looking but a decent sport look to them.

5. David Petty

David Petty New Member

Try Zenni Optical. I wear a pair of their goggles for biking. Very inexpensive.